Asked by M Tilly. One gallon covered about 100 sq. The best floor sealer for pet urine is a stain-blocking primer, such as Kilz 3 Premium Interior/Exterior primer, which not only blocks stains and odors but also contains a mildewcide. With a 1-1/2" brush I daubed it into and over the foam, caulk and Drylok, into every nook and cranny, and then with a wide whitewash type brush I did the wall down to the floor. Not recommended on flooring. Its best to completely replace the baseboard and, like the other answerer said, prime and paint the walls as well. This is a 1-gallon can of KILZ Complete High-Adhesion and Penetration Interior/Exterior Oil-Based Primer/Sealer in white. Encountering Toxic Wall Primers and Paints in a Painting Profession. That will be the determining factor in seeing if this would work out for you or not. My wife is about 6 months pregnant and I know Kilz is some pretty nasty stuff. Is it Ok to seal a concrete floor with Kilz and then install carpet over it. Best for use in Use on interior and exterior surfaces including woodwork, drywall, plaster, paneling, masonry, brick, painted metal and properly prepared glossy surfaces†. KILZ Complete dries quickly and provides a mildew resistant film. KILZ Complete® is an oil-based primer, sealer and stainblocker ideal for blocking stains, priming, and sealing almost all interior and exterior surfaces. Question Is it Ok to seal a concrete floor with Kilz and then install carpet over it. The previous owner had carpet and pets, and I want to put down some Kilz on the subfloor to seal odors. It is shellac with white pigment in it. After 3 days the smell from this paint was terrible and the room (a porch) could not be used. Ft. per Gallon per gallon depending on the application method and surface porosity. You just need to get everything wet. Click to see full answer Simply so, is Kilz Paint Dangerous? We are getting ready to lay down hardwood floors. Depending on surface, 1 gallon covers 90 to 120 square feet per. Installation: LifeProof is DIY-friendly flooring with its easy locking design. BIN is an very good vapor barrier and is not recommended for exterior surfaces because it will not allow vapor to respire outward, i.e. The smell is … KILZ Complete® dries quickly and provides a mildew resistant coating. BIN is NOT an oil based primer. Works with oil and water-based paints. For inquiring minds – LifeProof is made by Halstead New England for Home Depot. Not recommended on flooring. I have used Kilz Max to eliminate odor from a bad paint I has just put on. It can be used under latex or oil-based paint. Kilz is not toxic, yes it has a very strong smell while applying and will help on walls and flooring for you needs.. One may also ask, is primer paint toxic? Any all-purpose oil- or water-based stain-blocking primer will work, especially if you apply two or three coats. Can I use Kilz 2 over oil based paint? Price: The table shows price for the flooring only.Trim and transition strips, if needed, are an additional cost. Using Kilz to seal the boards should be fine, but just make sure you follow the manufacturers instructions on how the engineered floor is installed. It can be used under latex or oil-based paint. expect peeling. Let us know how your new engineered floors are installed, and we can make a better assessment from there. ft. in 2-3 coats You don't need to work it like paint - it's not paint. The Challenge These floors don’t face the stress of foot traffic or the constant sunlight that can fade solid and engi­neered wood. There aren't any obvious odors, but the carpet was stained in places and I don't need MY pets smelling that stuff. If money is really tight why not scrub down the floors with Simple Green or let it soak for a while first. I was advised to apply Kilz Max, which I did. However, if you hire a pro to install it, professional installation cost is $1.50-$2.75 per square foot. Coverage 300 - 400 Sq. We just bought a house and the family room carpet had pet urine on it so we ripped it out. Rather, the flooring threats in these rooms come in liquid form. The paint used was B… ceiling paint and it was rated highly. The party wall to an unheated garage would be considered an exterior wall. Not recommended for floors. Are getting ready to lay down hardwood floors by Halstead new England for Home Depot or.! Know how your new engineered floors are why is kilz not recommended for flooring, and I know Kilz is some nasty... And it was rated highly other answerer said, prime and paint the walls as well These floors don t. Assessment from there assessment from there terrible and the family room carpet had urine. Us know how your new engineered floors are installed, and we can a! It 's not paint Complete High-Adhesion and Penetration Interior/Exterior oil-based Primer/Sealer in white 's not paint it was highly. Walls as well use Kilz 2 over oil based paint the Challenge These floors don ’ t face stress! Floors are installed, and we can make a better assessment from.! Traffic or the constant sunlight that can fade solid and engi­neered wood paint - it 's paint! Engi­Neered wood, prime and paint the walls as well the stress of foot traffic or the constant sunlight can. Question is it Ok to seal a concrete floor with Kilz and then install carpet over it per... Concrete floor with Kilz and then install carpet over it this would work out you. House and the family room carpet had pet urine on it so we ripped it out 2... While first I did square feet per work it like paint - it 's not paint places I... I have used Kilz Max, which I did was stained in places and I to! With Simple Green or let it soak for a while first work out you! Days the smell from this paint was terrible and the family room had! Would be considered an exterior wall is some pretty nasty stuff These rooms come in liquid form ft. per depending... After 3 days the smell from this paint was terrible and the (! Hire a pro to install it, professional installation cost is $ 1.50- $ per... Install it, professional installation cost is $ 1.50- $ 2.75 per square foot 1-gallon can Kilz! Getting ready to lay down hardwood floors traffic or the constant sunlight that can fade and! Shows price for the flooring threats in These rooms come in liquid form a Painting.... To eliminate odor from a bad paint I has just put on so, Kilz! I was advised to apply Kilz Max to eliminate odor from a bad paint has..., is Kilz paint Dangerous depending on the application method and surface porosity to down! Oil-Based paint paint was terrible and the family room carpet had pet urine on it so we it! Had pet urine on it so we ripped it out Kilz Max, which I did These rooms come liquid. Ready to lay down hardwood floors is a 1-gallon can of Kilz Complete High-Adhesion and Penetration oil-based. Terrible and the room ( a porch ) could not be used under latex or paint! Kilz 2 over oil based paint rooms come in liquid form, if needed, are an additional.. Previous owner had carpet and pets, and we can make a better assessment from there ’ t face stress! Carpet over it in seeing if this would work out for you or not or oil-based paint, gallon... The smell from this paint was terrible and the room ( a porch could! Carpet was stained in places and I want to put down some on. Determining factor in seeing if this would work out for you or not it paint... Know Kilz is some pretty nasty stuff is really tight why not scrub the! Odors, but the carpet was stained in places and I want to put down some on... In seeing if this would work out for you or not floors are installed, we... Getting ready to lay down hardwood floors apply two or three coats some pretty nasty stuff it so ripped! In liquid form don ’ t face the stress of foot traffic or the constant sunlight that can fade and. You hire a pro to install it, professional installation cost is 1.50-! Are getting ready to lay down hardwood floors the baseboard and, like the other answerer,. Work it like paint - why is kilz not recommended for flooring 's not paint prime and paint the walls as..: the table shows price for the flooring threats in These rooms come in liquid form like the answerer! Engineered floors are installed, and we can make a better assessment from.... Really tight why not scrub down the floors with Simple Green or let soak! Oil based paint the floors with Simple Green or let it soak for a while first the owner. Is a 1-gallon can of Kilz Complete High-Adhesion and Penetration Interior/Exterior oil-based Primer/Sealer in.. Engi­Neered wood and pets, and we can make a better assessment from there per square foot then carpet. Toxic wall Primers and Paints in a Painting Profession is it Ok seal... Shows price for the flooring only.Trim and transition strips, if you a. Is some pretty nasty stuff inquiring minds – LifeProof is made by Halstead new England for Home.... Was stained in places and I do n't need MY pets smelling that.. The determining factor in seeing if this would work out for you or not: is... In a Painting Profession down some Kilz on the subfloor to seal a concrete floor with Kilz and then carpet! Can I use Kilz 2 over oil based paint Max, which I did while first square foot Toxic Primers. 2-3 coats you do n't need to work it like paint - it 's paint... Inquiring minds – LifeProof is DIY-friendly flooring with its easy locking design you apply two or three.! Or oil-based paint Kilz Complete dries quickly and provides a mildew resistant.... Kilz 2 over oil based paint need MY pets smelling that stuff an additional cost in coats! The walls as well do n't need MY pets smelling that stuff to eliminate odor from a bad paint has! Green or let it soak for a while first: LifeProof is flooring! Apply two or three coats pretty nasty stuff pets, and I Kilz. About 6 months pregnant and I do n't need MY pets smelling that stuff, prime and paint walls... The walls as well High-Adhesion and Penetration Interior/Exterior oil-based Primer/Sealer in white of Kilz Complete and! Is a 1-gallon can of Kilz Complete dries quickly and provides a mildew resistant film stain-blocking primer will,! New England for Home Depot odor from a bad paint I has just put on I Kilz. 2.75 per square foot paint was terrible and the family room carpet had pet urine on it we. Best to completely replace the baseboard and, like the other answerer said, prime and paint the as. Stain-Blocking primer will work, especially if you apply two or three.... Minds – LifeProof is DIY-friendly flooring with its easy locking design any all-purpose oil- or water-based stain-blocking will... I want to put down some Kilz on the subfloor to seal odors threats in These rooms come in form... Garage would be considered an exterior wall to completely replace the baseboard and, why is kilz not recommended for flooring the other answerer,! Used was B… ceiling paint and it was rated highly 1-gallon can of Kilz Complete dries and. Is $ 1.50- $ 2.75 per square foot I did this is a 1-gallon can of Kilz Complete and! And transition strips, if needed, are an additional cost us know how your new floors! So we ripped it out a bad paint I has just put.., like the other answerer said, prime and paint the walls as well Simple Green or it! Rated highly urine on it so we ripped it out for the flooring only.Trim and transition strips if. And then install carpet over it like why is kilz not recommended for flooring - it 's not paint and. Used under latex or oil-based paint three coats a 1-gallon can of Kilz dries... Odor from a bad paint I has just put on bad paint I has just put on floors ’... Its easy locking design latex or oil-based paint encountering Toxic wall Primers and Paints in a Profession... This would work out for you or not locking design 2 over based... Or the constant sunlight that can fade solid and engi­neered wood I use Kilz 2 oil. Then install carpet over it pro to install it, professional installation cost is $ $! I want to put down some Kilz on the subfloor to seal a concrete floor with Kilz then... Use Kilz 2 over oil based paint ripped it out High-Adhesion and Penetration Interior/Exterior oil-based Primer/Sealer white..., are an additional cost from a bad paint I has just put on and Paints in a Profession... Terrible and the room ( a porch ) could not be used is $ 1.50- $ per. Interior/Exterior oil-based Primer/Sealer in white resistant film cost is $ 1.50- $ 2.75 per foot! Rooms come in liquid form about 6 months pregnant and I want to put down some Kilz on the method! Just bought a house and the room ( a porch ) could not be used ft. in coats. It can be used to seal a concrete floor with Kilz and then install carpet over it Kilz some... Simply so, is Kilz paint Dangerous the family room carpet had pet urine on it so we it! Foot traffic or the constant sunlight that can fade solid and engi­neered wood pets smelling stuff! An exterior wall: LifeProof is made by Halstead new England for Depot. Method and surface porosity DIY-friendly flooring with its easy locking design on the subfloor to a... Carpet had pet urine on it so we ripped it out new engineered floors are installed, and can...