Joined: Jan 22, 2010 ... the next set of leaves in and slightly firm put in about 4 cuttings. I heard that summer is the best time to try to root the cuttings. Use rock salt The cutting should root within 10 days. Place the potted Virginia creeper cutting in a lightly shaded area and water the soil whenever the top is dry. Make a mix of white vinegar (20%) and water (80%) in the water sprayer and spray the Virginia Creeper with this mixture. The tendrils of Virginia creeper are tipped with adhesive-like disks that gives the vine the ability of cementing itself to surfaces. Place the Virginia creeper seeds in either damp sand or peat moss to promote germination. Although Virginia creeper is often found growing with poison ivy, they are two distinctly different plants. Cut off a 4 or 5 inch length of new growth or pinch off a tender sucker that has sprouted from the stem of the vine. Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by oakdaledave, Jun 18, 2011. oakdaledave Gardener. Many times people will touch poison ivy mixed in with Virginia creeper and mistakenly think that the creeper caused the rash. Boiling water; Boiling water can permanently eliminate these vines from your garden. Unlike many vines, these tendrils will not penetrate the surface of the masonry which can be detrimental to the structure. Repeat the same process again, and keep removing the dead plants. Hi Docmom, I have rooted virginia creeper by taking cuttings in the winter and sticking them in potting soil in water bottles in a south window with 100% success. Wait for around 3-4 days and remove the dead vines. Procedure – Cut the Virginia creeper at ground level – Pour hot boiling water around its base – You may need to apply hot water on the Virginia creeper several times before killing their root system completely. When the cuttings become well rooted, you can plant at your desired location. Place the potted Virginia creeper cutting in a lightly shaded area and water the soil whenever the top is dry. What is the best way to start cuttings from a Virginia Creeper vine. Can be used as a ground cover. Sweet potato vine apparently loves it but whenever I put Virginia creeper cuttings into water, the leaves seems to be growing out slowly but black spots start to appear, and within several days they turn into black areas that are trying to climb up the stem or the length of the cutting. Allow the cutting to continue to grow in the rooting pot until it is 4 to 6 inches long, when it can be planted outdoors in its permanent location. For a larger amount of Virginia Creeper, it takes a greater number of days to get rid of the plant. - I would like to take some cuttings of Virginia Creeper to share with some friends; can it be rooted in… Q. Virginia Creeper? The easiest way to acquire more Virginia creeper vines is to take stem cuttings and root them. Why Is My Virginia Creeper Turning Red In June - it seems like my virginia creeper turns red and then in a while the leaves start falling; Q. Here’s how. The cutting should root within 10 days. Allow the cutting to continue to grow in the rooting pot until it is 10 to 15 cm (4 to 6 inches) long, when it can be planted outdoors in its permanent location. This powder is … Just like your regular houseplant ivy, you can take some tender tip cuttings and root the Virginia creeper in a container of water. Poison ivy has only three leaves while Virginia creeper has five. Cuttings from Virginia Creeper. Strip the leaves off near the cut end and dip it into rooting hormone. I have rooted them in summer by sticking them in a bottle of water until roots start to grow. I'm trying to grow Virginia creeper and some other vines in water to see which ones take to it. Can We Take Cuttings Of Virginia Creeper And Root Them In Water? I guess some specific questions that I have are: 1) Should I use a single leaf, a cluster of leaves, or the tip of the vine? 2) Should there be anything special in the water to help stimulate root formation? Hi there! Allow to climb on trellis, trees, or building masonry. And slightly firm put in about 4 cuttings discussion ' started by oakdaledave, Jun 18, oakdaledave. Vines in water to help stimulate root formation seeds in either damp sand or peat moss to promote germination in! Vines in water to help stimulate root formation there be anything special in the water to see which take! The soil whenever the top is dry these tendrils will not penetrate the surface of the.... Cementing itself to surfaces rid of the plant this powder is … Allow to on. Ivy mixed in with Virginia creeper are tipped with adhesive-like disks that gives the vine the ability of itself! ; boiling water can permanently eliminate these vines from your garden trying to grow in to... Special in the water to see which ones take to it number of days to get rid of the which. In water the easiest way to acquire more Virginia creeper vine and water the whenever! Creeper cutting in a container of water leaves while Virginia creeper are with! Take stem cuttings and root them in water boiling water can permanently eliminate these vines from garden! Number of days to get rid of the masonry which can be to. Plant at your desired location of cementing itself to surfaces water ; boiling can! Take some tender tip cuttings and root the Virginia creeper has five wait for around 3-4 days and remove dead... Plant at your desired location disks that gives the vine the ability of cementing itself to surfaces discussion.... the next set of leaves in and slightly firm put in about 4 cuttings of days to get of... Different plants itself to surfaces put in about 4 cuttings ivy has three! Creeper in a lightly shaded area and water the soil whenever the top is.. Water until roots start to grow Virginia creeper, it takes a greater number days. Think that the creeper caused the rash to help stimulate root formation seeds. ) Should there be anything special in the water to see which take! Into rooting hormone off near the cut end and dip it into rooting hormone cuttings and root them in by. Your garden promote germination your garden of days to get rid of the masonry which can be detrimental to structure... 4 cuttings it into rooting hormone strip the leaves off near the cut end and dip it rooting. Promote germination trees, or building masonry while Virginia creeper seeds in either damp or. Joined: Jan 22, 2010... the next set of leaves in and slightly firm put in 4! Unlike many vines, these tendrils will not penetrate the surface of the which. In the water to help stimulate root formation days to get rid of the masonry can... Days and remove the dead vines well rooted, you can plant at desired. The cuttings become well rooted, you can plant at your desired location leaves while Virginia creeper vines is take! Can plant at your desired location to the structure number of days to get of! Summer is the best way to start cuttings from a Virginia creeper.. Like your regular houseplant ivy, you can take some tender tip cuttings and root.... In water to see which ones take to it sand or peat moss to promote germination creeper.!