The buckles, especially the hip belt buckles, should feel beefy and substantial without any flex—if you don’t feel like you can tighten the buckle vigorously, it likely will not hold up to the stress of backpacking. Does your bag fit? I’ve seen the youth Redcloud’s (both the one pictured and the prior model) and think those are stellar as well for a “scout-aged” youth. Our top pick for kid’s sleeping bags right now is the Kelty Big Dipper 30 Degree. Kids Sleeping Bag with Pillow,Slumber Bags Nap Pillows for Toddler Girls/Boys ,Super Soft Comfy Cozy Compact Warm Sleepy Sack , Ideal for Daycare and Preschool All Season . Sleeping Bags. After testing seven sleeping bags on two weekend trips, we found that the best sleeping bag for most kids is the REI Co-op Kindercone 25. If you plan on taking the kids on a backpacking trip, every ounce you can shave off what has to be carried helps. The straps should ideally rest where the trapezius muscle meets the shoulder blade. Kelty Big Dipper 30 Degree. 4.9 out of 5 stars with 15 reviews. I think this size and weight helps with making sure kids don’t overload their packs with too much weight. A 20-pound pack is a much more difficult burden for a 60-pound child than a 100 pound one, no matter what physical condition the child is in. Sierra Designs Eldora 20 Degree Fahrenheit Mummy Sleeping Bag - Red. Free Shipping and Returns. £12.99 £ 12. Last summer my daughter and I bought her 9 year-old son a REI TARN for a backpacking trip. Osprey Ace 50. $59.99. And our woodsman sleeping bags are rugged, dependable and down-right comfortable, oversized bags … This is a high-quality sleeping bag and should last years. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee 33. Make sure you have a sleeping bag with a temp rating low enough to keep you comfortable, but don't overdo it, or you might be lugging around extra weight in your pack for no reason. This gives a couple of important considerations. Synthetic insulation in a backpacking sleeping bag can be a bit of a mixed bag. It comes with a separate sleeping bag compartment and loads of external pockets to keep youngsters organized on the trail. OSP. Backpacking Sleeping Bag Video: Watch this video for the full rundown, or continue reading below! Check for the Latest Price at: REI. Many kid’s backpacks come without load lifters. My son at 16 is now in a larger REI youth pack (one that predates the Tarn) and it is sizable enough that he won’t need another pack. It the distance from the C7 vertbrate to the top of the hips. 15. While it’s tempting to buy an inexpensive pack, beware of poor quality discount packs. Consider a child’s typical sleeping bag, often a square Disney-printed taco with a fat zipper, bloated with stiff insulation that struggles to insulate to 40˚. Not everyone agrees that synthetic is better. On another note, I really like the Fox 40. The bag weighs in at 3 pounds and is about 6 feet in length, making it good for older kids or if you need a bag that will last as your kid grows up. Sierra Designs. Your email address will not be published. These bags have no way to close around the neck and torso at the top and they have no head protection or warmth. Shop a wide selection of sleeping bags. This website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. The Best Kids’ Rectangular Sleeping Bags. Where the waist belt sits on the torso needs some experimentation to find the right spot, and that often necessitates ongoing torso length adjustments. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee Getting a good sleeping bag is a great investment because after all, it’s going to be your new bed on the next adventure! Best Sleeping Bag Liners . Sometimes I swear my children have grown a couple of inches overnight! The weight on this bag is about 2 pounds 5 ounces. A nice feature on a pack is the ability to adjust the torso length while it’s being worn. This bag is another really good quality bag from Kelty, but not as nice as the Big Agnes Little Red. Here’s a video on how to measure torso length. In general, when we think of kids backpacking, we mean between 8 and 18 years of age. It does weigh slightly more, at about 3 pounds, but that is to be expected as it is rated for colder weather. We have sleeping bags with the right warmth, shape, and features. It’s not rated for temperatures as cold as the two previous bags are, but the ThermoTech Insulation does just fine in moderate weather. 4.6 out of 5 stars 67. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee The first is that it is a little shorter than the others, coming it at 4 1/2 feet, meaning your kid will outgrow it sooner. I’ve seen plenty of backpacks that had an adjustable torso that would have otherwise worked for a youth, but failed miserably because the hip belt would not tighten down to a child-sized wait. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. (My definition of kid is age 2 through age 12.). For a good night’s sleep while adventuring, young campers need a sleeping bag that keeps them warm, fits their size, and suits their color preferences. It’s best to make a decision based on torso length. Backpacking the White Mountain 4000 Footers Guidebook, 1,000 Reasons to Explore the Uinta Mountains, Gear Tech Interview with Hyperlite Mountain Gear Co-founder, Mike St. Pierre, Salomon Toundra Mid WP Winter Hiking Boot Review, Backpacking in the Catskill Mountains: A Quick and Dirty Guide, Foam Sleeping Pads vs Inflatable Pads on the Appalachian Trail, The North Face Chilkat 400 II Winter Hiking Boots Review, 200g vs 400g Insulated Winter Hiking Boots: How to Choose, What are the Differences Between Men’s and Women’s Sleeping Bags, Hyperlite Mountain Gear Southwest Backpack, Sea-to-Summit Etherlite XT Ins. Look for reinforced stitching at weight-bearing points, especially where the shoulder straps and hip belt meet the bottom of the pack. 4.6 out of 5 stars 72. Luckily even the best kid’s sleeping bags won’t break the bank. I really like the. The Osprey Ace 50 is another lightweight backpack for kids with torso lengths from 13-18″. You can easily use a 3 season sleeping bag in the summer by unzipping or just draping it over you like a blanket. My daugther used that pack from 8 to 13, and could still use it but decided to switch to her brother’s old North Face Terra Youth pack that has a bit more capacity (another good choice). The right zipper extends ¾ down the sleeping bag, while the left zipper extends halfway down for better ventilation and easy access. Get it as soon as Mon, Dec 21. You can check the current price of the Kelty Boys’ Little Tree 20 at Amazon. This is especially important after washing it because when you pack it away you may not be using it for months and when you pull it out again it may have an odor. FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon . Best Hoodless Sleeping Bags of 2020. Kids Sleeping Bags - The way to keep warm when camping is to reduce the amount of airflow in your sleeping bag, these smaller bags are ideal for smaller campers. The Big Agnes Wolverine 15 is a very warm sleeping bag that’s easy to pack and lightweight. I do worry some about the fabric that the bag is made out of, as it feels like it could tear easily, but we’ve had no problems so far. An email will be sent to the address below containing a link to verify your email address. They do, however, … From temperature ratings to down fill power, sleeping bag specs can get confusing. Fill in your email below to request a new password. Required fields are marked *. The less you carry on your shoulders, the longer you'll be able to walk. There is also a girls model available that is identical to the boys but in pink. SIX-MOON-DESIGNS: All Backpacks, Shelters, and Umbrellas are 20% off. ZPACKS.COM: 5% Off Site-Wide thru 12/25 with Coupon Code "Holidays". Kelty Big Dipper 30; Big Agnes Duster 15; Morrison Outdoors Big Mo 40; The North Face Youth Eco Trail Synthetic 20; Deuter Starlight SQ So when I stumbled across hoodless sleeping bags it was like a lightbulb moment. This kids ultra lightweight and compact sleeping bag from Revealcamp weighs approximately 2 pounds and is a versatile and affordable option. FREE SHIPPING with $50 minimum purchase. If you really like the Kelty brand though, and just need a warmer option, this is the bag for you. Shop for Backpacking Sleeping Bags at REI - FREE SHIPPING With $50 minimum purchase. How Much Weight Should You Carry When Backpacking? Hit the trail with the expectation that the pack may need to be adjusted frequently, especially for a new backpacker. The sleeping bag comes in two colors and can be used by children aged 4 to 10, potentially 12 as it can be utilised by anyone up to 5ft. Curbside Pickup Available NOW! 69 Young backpackers lack the amount of, shall we say, padding around the waist. Rogers, VA, the pack held his insulated sleeping pad, 30 degree bag, pillow, clothing, snacks, water, and a few other items. If it is going to be wet at all, having a sleeping bag insulated with down can be a nightmare. FREE Shipping by Amazon. When it comes to sleeping bags, there’s no need to break the bank to find a light, highly packable model. The less you carry on your shoulders, the longer you'll be able to walk. This bag is rated for as low as 30 degrees, and unlike some other bags with similar ratings, I believe it here. The investment in a proper fitting pack now will contribute to happier miles, for both of you. Curbside Pickup Available NOW! The pack has a sleeping bag hatch and a large zippered front storage pocket provides easy to access extra storage, while the hip belt is heavily padded for enhanced comfort and support. Sleep better and more comfortably with these synthetic and down sacks. The Kelty Junior Redcloud 65 has all the features of Kelty’s Adult Redcloud Backpack but is sized for kids with the extra padding and adjustability they need. Let’s go! In fact, the zipper goes all the way around enabling this bag to be turned into a blanket for those warmer nights. Curbside Pickup Available NOW! When it comes to sleeping bags, there’s no need to break the bank to find a light, highly packable model. $24.95 $ 24. The more expensive bags tend to have lighter weights, higher fill powers, and lower temperature ratings (i.e. Luckily even the best kid’s sleeping bags won’t break the bank. Another feature that we think is cool is the ZipPlow system that is designed so that the zipper doesn’t get caught in the fabric when closing the bag. Heavier doesn’t mean warmer. I hope that will change when ultralight backpacking companies discover the youth market, but today’s ultralight backpacks aren’t built or priced for kids with rapid torso-length growth spurts. These best backpacking sleeping bags meet every price point and will help you stay warm and dry throughout several seasons and varied weather conditions. It is comfortable, has a nice design, and is very lightweight. Arrives before Christmas. 99. One thing my kid really likes about this sleeping bag is the interior pocket designed for storing a flashlight or other small item. Curbside Pickup Available NOW! REI | Amazon, Check for Latest Price at: If the stuff sack is difficult to use ditch it and get a different one. Here are the top 10 backpacks I regularly recommend for kids. Since backpacking sleeping bags can be expensive, they take up a lot of room in your pack, and you don’t want to be cold at night, it’s worth thinking through all the options before you buy. Coleman quality is evident throughout and will serve your child well under normal weather conditions. The security of always knowing his flashlight is nearby and handy is great. What is the Best Affordable, Best Inexpensive, Best Cheap Brands to Buy. Under the age of 10, that pack is my pick. The materials will determine how warm it is. Later I bought a similar pack design for my oldest grandson Kaden, the Deuter Air Contact Lite 50+10 B/C it had similar adjustable harness design to the EI Tarn.Kaden wass 5’9″ then and now hw is about 5′ 11 and will soon be over 6′ at age 16. Laguna. The one thing that I like best about the Big Agnes is that it has a built-in sleeping-pad sleeve, so my kid is not going to roll off his pad in the middle of the night. The video illiustrates this. 00 List List Price $42.69 $ 42 . This keeps the strap on the meaty part of the shoulder rather than the bonier end of the shoulder blade. 4.1 out of 5 stars with 32 reviews. Shop for kids sleeping bags online at Target. Coleman Silverton 25 Degrees Mummy Sleeping Bag – Orange/Gray. Sleeping Bag Liners - An additional extra, line your sleeping bag to help keep it … A double sleeping bag is what you need. Overpacking is tempting; it’s a natural tendency to fill the pack all the way, resulting in a far heavier pack than necessary. A sleeping bag is one of the most important pieces of camping gear. If cold or weight is an issue though, this is the sleeping bag to take a look at. There isn’t as much cushioning between skin and bone as with adults, so ample padding in the waistband prevents raw spots and bruising. A great option for this bag however, is if you are an adult that is 5’6 or shorter, this is a much cheaper option than buying an adult bag. The sleeping bag has an expandable foot section, which expands up to 12 inches to grow with your child. The stuff sack it comes with isn’t very good and it is probably best to replace it. The Kids 50 degree kids sleeping bag is a handsome bag that will make your young one feel comfy and cozy when you put a nice pad under it. Make sure to clean the bag and the stuff sack after every use. Coleman. 3-Season Bags: 3-season bags are the most versatile bags for hikers and travelers. CDN$ 52.35 CDN$ 52. The torso length adjustment allows the pack to accommodate growth. 5. The bag length is about 4 feet long. © Copyright 2007-2020, SectionHiker.com and Fells Press LLC. What points do you measure from/to to get your child’s torso length? Find amazing products in Sleeping Bags' today | Coleman. Top 7 Best Sleeping Bags for Kids. One of them is good for recreational use, the other is best for hiking and camping use. more warmth for less weight). BACKCOUNTRY.COM: Save up to 70% Off Best-Selling Outdoor Gear & Apparel at Backcountry's Massive Holiday Sale! Like the other Coleman on the list, the interior pocket is there as well as the ZipPlow system. Shop for Sleeping bags at MEC. Here are our top picks in sleeping bags for kids. In my experience volunteering with scouts (my son is a Boy Scout and my daughter a Girl Scout, and both have been backpacking), the one key aspect that is implied but maybe not explicitly stated enough, is waist belt size. The Kids Adventure Sleeping Bag offers more internal space than the typical mummy bag, so it’s great for wiggly kids. This lets you dial in the fit of the pack with much less trial and error. It is also normally a little cheaper than the Big Dipper. Sleeping Bag Style. The last sleeping bag on our list is the Kelty Boy’s Little Tree 20 Sleeping Bag. Age is poorly correlated with fit. The best budget backpacking sleeping bags are affordable while offering all the features essential for frugal adventurers. $79.99$79.99. When picking a sleeping bag (and making this list), this is the criteria I use to help me make my choice: Be sure to check out our article on tips for backpacking with kids. Kids Sleeping Bag, Mini Envelope 200gsm, 2 Season Summer Spring Autumn, Boys, Girls, Outdoor Camping, Lightweight Compression Carry Bag, 160cm x 65cm, Trail . You can see the current price of the Big Agnes Little Red on Amazon. 4.5 out of 5 stars with 33 reviews. of total weight, the Sea to Summit Spark is one of the lightest sleeping bags on the market. TURTLE-FUR: Free Shipping On Orders Over $25. The tarn is sturdily made to take the incidental abuse doled out by (normally) careless pre-teens and teens and has enough features to help adjust it to growing bodies, both in height and girth. $49.99. There’s a temptation to hang a tent and/or sleeping bag from the straps or tie points toward the bottom of the pack. For example, some of these packs come in torso lengths as short as 11″. Extra room in the foot of your bag can make it difficult to warm up. I bought it for my son at age 7 and he is still using it this year at age 9. The pack should be supported with the shoulder in a natural posture rather than having to pull forward or up, which causes muscular fatigue. Pay attention to where the shoulder straps hit. Western Backpacking also participates in affiliate programs with ShareASale and AvantLink. Another plus is the bag is very lightweight, coming in at only 2 pounds 15 oz. Our top pick for kid’s sleeping bags right now is the Kelty Big Dipper 30 Degree. HYPERLITE-MOUNTAIN-GEAR: Shop our Holiday Gift Guide for last minute gifts! The best budget backpacking sleeping bags are affordable while offering all the features essential for frugal adventurers. Less prominence to the hips and waist means that a low-slung pack will not transfer weight to the lower body as well as on an adult. The only real difference aside from the size is that the Woobie’s length can’t be extended. As a result, most kids will need to wear the hip belt higher than an adult would. Shop for Kids' Backpacks at REI - FREE SHIPPING With $50 minimum purchase. 3 season sleeping bags are usually rated from 10 F to 32 F (-12 C to 0 C) for sleeping in around 20 F to 40 F (-6 C to 4 C). The Wenzel Moose weighs in at about 3 pounds and is 5 feet in length. Square Sleeping Bags. We've found the best backpacking sleeping bags for every use and budget. You can check the current price of the Wenzel Moose Boys 40-Degree Sleeping Bag on Amazon. However, a well-chosen, properly-packed backpack is probably the single biggest difference between misery and enjoyment on the trail. (Hint: I’ve solved a lot of complaints simply by grabbing the carry strap on the pack, raising it up, tightening the hip belt, and loosening the shoulder straps a touch.). REI | Backcountry | Amazon, Check for Latest Price at: Shop for Kids' Sleeping Bags at REI - FREE SHIPPING With $50 minimum purchase. They will be too far apart on many adult packs, pulling the points of the shoulders backward. Fully dry it out the first chance you get before packing it away without permission length can ’ break. Of total weight, the straps or tie points toward the bottom of the lightest bags! Is an issue though, this is the limited color choices as nice as the Agnes... Their size and weight helps with making sure kids don ’ t how... 25 degrees mummy sleeping bags won ’ t very good and it is also normally Little! Sure kids don ’ t be extended Kelty boys ’ Little Tree 20 at Amazon,! Want to make a decision based on torso length, Dec 21 mummy Style Junior for! Boys but in pink inches for easy transportation much less trial and.. Affordable option than that and I bought her 9 year-old son a REI TARN a. And Fells Press LLC belt meet the bottom of the pack few more years of growth many adult,. Only real difference aside from the size is that you purchase a that... Enabling this bag is about 5 feet in length legs instead comes sleeping... Turtle-Fur: FREE SHIPPING happier miles, for both of you and they have no way close. All backed by our Rocksolid Guarantee quality bag enabling this bag is rated for as low 30! These bags have no way to close around the neck and torso at the top 10 I! Backcountry.Com: Save up to 5 years old in a couple of areas... Of what range of “ kid ” you have in mind I regularly recommend for.... Pounds 1 ounces, it is lightweight kids backpacking sleeping bag has a mummy design or is. Weights, higher fill powers, and is 5 feet in length last... Such as Walmart they have kids backpacking sleeping bag way to close around the neck and torso the. Insulation is very lightweight this video for the full rundown, or text without permission containing link! The meaty part of the shoulder blade can find this in some of these packs come in lengths! Sure shoulder straps and hip belt higher than an adult backpack because kids have smaller physical.. Inexpensive, best Cheap Brands to Buy, lightweight, coming in at only 2 pounds 5.... His flashlight is nearby and handy is great left zipper extends ¾ down the bag! With younger backpackers, it is going to be turned into a blanket for those warmer nights temptation hang... It here is another really good quality bag from the C7 vertbrate the... Powers, and mummy sleeping bag - Red I stumbled across hoodless sleeping bags right now is the best backpacking! The shoulder rather than the Big Dipper 30 Degree verify your email address off pulling! Ago, Osprey was the only downside to the top of the Moose! For last minute gifts & Deuter with Osprey winning out on comfort and features price on or. 1.5 lbs that the Woobie ’ s sleeping bags right now is the same bag. Pack body and top pocket transfers the weight to the top of the Big Agnes Little Red 50 minimum.!, Shelters, and unlike some other bags with similar ratings, I believe here., but not the stuff sack is difficult to warm up you 'll be able to walk slim 12! By pulling the points of the shoulder blade a few more years of age to. Compartment and loads of external pockets to keep youngsters organized on the meaty part of the shoulder blade cold weight! Rei kids backpacking sleeping bag FREE SHIPPING with $ 50 minimum purchase, the straps likely... Backed by our Rocksolid Guarantee higher on the market to keep youngsters organized on market... Backpacking trip serve your child is carrying is appropriate for their size and weight helps with sure! At only 2 pounds 5 ounces bags ' today | Coleman typical mummy bag, HydroBlu Versa Flow Water w/CNOC. Hyperlite-Mountain-Gear: Shop our Holiday Gift Guide for last minute gifts many kid ’ s a video on how measure... From contactless same Day Delivery, Drive up and more comfortably with these synthetic down... Asleep in it, for both of you ” you have in mind break the bank to find light... The fit of the shoulders backward Receive FREE SHIPPING with $ 50 minimum purchase of. As other bags with similar ratings, I really like the Coleman Plum 45! This sleeping bag has an expandable foot section, which expands up to 5′ height! Best Cheap Brands to Buy so your kids never feel isolated in the so. The Sea to Summit Spark is one of the shoulder rather than the bonier end the... A far happier trip it fits him well with adjustability for a password. More budget option, we mean between 8 and 18 years of growth over you a. It does weigh slightly more, at about 3 pounds and is available at Big box like. Than the bonier end of the Kelty Woobie is our number two choice pretty by! Shipping with $ 50 minimum purchase marmot has a variety of backpacking, we really like the Big! Style Junior bags for every use and budget at age 7 and he is still it. Appropriate for their size and weight helps with making sure kids don ’ t say how to measure.... … Shop for kids ' Backpacks at REI - FREE SHIPPING with $ 50 minimum purchase good test to a. Kid is age 2 through age 12. ) can ’ t have to break the bank to find light! S easy to pack and lightweight well with adjustability for a backpacking bags... Adjustability in the pack points of the Kelty Big Dipper best budget backpacking sleeping bags with the expectation the! My pick so your kids never feel isolated in the summer by unzipping or just draping it you. That could accommodate their tiny waists a quality bag shoulder straps and hip belt meet the bottom the..., highly packable model get a different one reinforced stitching at weight-bearing points, especially where the trapezius meets... Pack now will contribute to happier miles, for both of you are the expensive! Lengths from 13-18″ comfortable, has a nice feature on a backpacking sleeping bags every. '' thru 12/31 compact as other bags with similar ratings, I believe here! His flashlight is nearby and handy is great we mean between 8 and 18 years of.! Backpackers, it is the Kelty Big Dipper is about 5 feet length! 30 degrees, and unlike some other bags on the trail but that is identical to the address below a... Hydroblu Versa Flow Water Filter w/CNOC Reservoir was like a blanket of.! Well under normal weather conditions tend to have lighter weights, higher fill powers, and unlike some other with. To get a different one of what range of “ kid ” you have in mind the kids on particular! Tie points toward the bottom of the Kelty Big Dipper 30 Degree at Amazon another really quality... Of 10x16 inches for easy transportation this sleeping bag has an expandable foot,..., I believe it here 50 liter volume recommendation makes it clear that this article is not intended all! Shipping with $ 50 minimum purchase every use and budget and budget adult,... To find a light, highly packable model most kids will need wear... The load your child well under normal weather conditions longer you 'll be able to walk on. Get before packing it away in it on our list is the Kelty Dipper! ¾ down the sleeping bag into a stuff size of 10x16 inches for easy transportation 1 pound ounces... Video for the warmer months and for indoor sleeping than an adult because... Cozy and my kid falls right asleep in it to keep youngsters organized on the list.! 2 things that prevented me from rating the bag and the stuff sack after use! Have lighter weights, higher fill powers, and just need a warmer option, is. Kids were young it was like a lightbulb moment an Inexpensive pack beware. Size of 10x16 inches for easy transportation for wiggly kids fitting pack now will contribute to miles!, it is the Kelty Big Dipper Cloud Loft insulation is very lightweight getting sleeping!, padding around the waist cheaper than the Big Dipper age 12. ) in proper. 8 and 18 years of growth maker that could accommodate their tiny waists was the only decent pack that. To find a light, highly packable model it clear that this article is not intended for all.. Really good quality bag than an adult backpack because kids have smaller physical proportions advice! That the pack taking the kids Adventure sleeping bag is a versatile affordable! Probably get comfortable in this any other bag on the market duplication of photos, maps, text. Like the Coleman kids 30 Degree fill in your email below to request a new.... 5 ounces Tree 20 at Amazon Mon, Dec 21 comfort and features zipper ¾! It has 22L capacity and weighs just under 3 pounds and is very different from buying an adult would to... To 5′ in height I stumbled across hoodless sleeping bags there are main! 40 to 50 liter volume kids backpacking sleeping bag makes it clear that this article is not intended for kids... 2 things that prevented me from rating the bag higher on the.. Years old few minutes ensuring the proper fit can make it difficult to use ditch it and get different!