That is the reason why I have placed it in my top 3. We know it takes a certain minimum rotation rate to keep a bullet nose-on and stable through air. Best Rifle Caliber for Deer? Honestly these bullets are over kill for deer unless you’re hunting in a lead free zone. The devastating front end and the sure fire penetrating shank will drop any deer you’ll ever see. And remember that energy is what kills the deer and the energy falls off fast as the velocity drops. The blood has to leave a trail bold enough to follow through the brush and get your deer and drop the blood pressure quickly enough to keep it from running too far. Big-game hunters in the western states use this rifle round on mule deer and even bear. I recently bought a Stevens 200 chambered in .308. “The classic bolt-action rifle that all others aspire to be” You will … Both cartridges are readily found on store shelves and are inexpensive compared to rarer chamberings. Next, we pit subsonic rivals against each other before stretching the legs of this CQB round out to 600 yards from a short 9-inch barrel. The advantage to using a .308 semi-automatic rifle is that it can be used for both big game hunting on game such as deer or elk while also being used for tactical training or defending your home and property against raiders and looters. Gun hunting has fallen out of vogue in recent years. The Winchester .308 holds a very clear and outright advantage over the .223 Remington when it comes to hunting and competitive shooting. Muzzleloading workhorse Thompson/Center Pro Hunter FX. Bullets for deer just don’t cost a lot. It can reach out and touch a deer in a 300 yard long bean field or drop a buck in the brush with a heavy bullet. The original 7.62mm NATO had a perfect combination of bullet shape, velocity, and twist for this scenario. This is because it lowers blood pressure and leaves a trail for the hunter to follow. Modern .308/7.62×51 is one of the most popular rounds available. Some are better suited for certain shooting applications than others. The Barnes TTSX is an updated TSX bullet to add a soft plastic tip to increase the ballistic coefficient and flatten the trajectory. Tagearplanet.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Shot placement on the animal is just as important as bullet construction . Producing around 2600 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle and retaining 2150 ft lbs at 100yards and 1700 ft lbs at 200yards this calibre has plenty of knock down power yet has very manageable recoil. I’ve taken many deer with my.308 while The.308 Winchester is a superb hunting cartridge with many bullet styles, like the Hornady SST, offered in factory ammo. When I was using a 308 I kept my shots under 600 yards and used the faster expanding Hornady 165gr SST's and Nosler 165 gr Ballistic Tips. Springfield Armory Model M1A one 20 round mag 3-9X44 Vision Plus scope Green furniture full rail on top half on sides & bottom (C2043-20) - .308 Win. For larger game such as deer and elk, both cartridges have enough stopping power at short range to drop animals cleanly. This means a .308 caliber bullet will expand up to .50 caliber or larger and leave a shank always that exits. Remember, factories have access to many more propellants than handloaders. The .308 family of cartridges, from left, .243 Winchester, .260 Remington, 7mm-08, .308 Winchester, .338 Federal, and the .358 Winchester. 180 grain 308 deer loads are not the best, I have killed several pick up truck loads of deer with 150 grain WW factory, rem corelocks, you name it, in the 150-165 grain range. First and foremost, everyone agrees that the hole has to be in the right spot. Just a day trip but check out the magic scenery. You need a bullet that has high weight retention for reliable penetration. has increasingly pilfered proponents of traditional deer hunting cartridges, such as the .270 Win. All Shooting Times subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. Dennis Holmes here. Both of the British service revolver cartridges, the .455 Revolver Mk II and the .380 Revolver Mk II-Z, had very oddly shaped bullets with strange nose profiles and/or massive hollowbases. The job of the bullet is to push a hole completely through the animal to drain blood. In between, there is a rifle for every use and every budget. Almost any bullet of this type will work. Factory loadings are plentiful, generally of excellent quality, and are available world-wide. This is especially true with deer that bed down quickly. First off, we decided to limit ourselves to the most common deer hunting calibers: .30-06, .308, .300 Winchester Magnum, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .30-30 Winchester. These are great rounds because they’re cheap but reliable. Optimization for fast-firing military guns affected cartridge case length and cartridge
overall length (COL). Thinking of deer and long range target shooting. The 308 Bullet Choice for Moose. The renascence of bullet technology has left us with a whole shelf of bullets for specific purposes including deer hunting. The .308 is a superb whitetail round, but don’t believe it’s too puny for elk, pronghorns, black bears or plains game. In the UK the .308 Winchester is suitable for all our deer species from Muntjac all the way through to larger species such as Fallow, Red, Sika deer and even boar. I hope it is around a long time. I killed a deer this morning at approx. In other words, the best .308 Winchester ammunition is one of the most renowned short-action (due to its short instance) and big game hunting cartridge in the marketplace. I've seen the 75gr .257" hollow points that are very similar to the 110gr .308's completely penetrate deer when shot from a .257Roberts at 3,400fps. This is my personal choice and in my opinion the best .308 round for deer hunting. The most common factory loaded bullet weights for the .308 are 150 grain, 165 grain, and 180 grain. With bow hunters there’s no debate; having a double pass through means more blood out quickly. Whenever hunters gather around a campfire to discuss big-game cartridges, you’ll hear talk about the .270 Winchester versus the .30-06, some chatter about the 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .300 Weatherby Mag and .300 WSM, but almost nothing about the .308 Winchester. The best .308 bullet for deer hunting will be engineered for quick expansion and maximum trauma. 180 grain 308 deer loads are not the best, I have killed several pick up truck loads of deer with 150 grain WW factory, rem corelocks, you name it, in the 150-165 grain range. Entry holes rarely bleed enough for a good trail. When the bullet makes the transition from air to something else, such as tissue, the resistance of the tougher medium slows the bullet faster. The .308 Winchester is an excellent round for hunting and can bring down almost any North American big game, including deer, elk, and black bear. Ball propellants and a slightly higher pressure limit than the .30-06 helped. A cup and core bullet is a traditional bullet where molten lead is poured into a copper jacket. The goal of the bullet is to put a hole in the animal. The 7.62mm was 1:12 and thus rotated more slowly in flight. It was something simple: rifling twist rate. The "official" story is that the extra bullet length was needed so very early Enfield rifles throated for the original 215-grain FMJ RN could remain accurate with newer spitzer bullet ammo. Again, accidental or intentional — who knows for sure? I read the American Rifleman test of the Socom 16 a couple of years ago and was amazed at the velocity loss in the short bbl. It also might be one of the most accurate of all rifle rounds at ranges under 200 yards. My .308 with the typical 150 grain soft point bullet will blow a two-three inch diameter hole broadside clean through a deer at 300 yards. Dec 22, 2016 #11 D. Deleted member 25294 Guest. My son shoots the load well on targets too, recoil is plenty mild for a youngster. I think eveyone needs a 308 in the safe. That sounds about right Skillet, have you checked out the remington managed recoil loads for the 308 win they use there 125 PSP at around 2660 fps out of a 24", and that bullet in a 30/30 would work well on deer so in a 308 it would work realy well. I managed a 160 lb mule deer buck and a 200 lb feral hog with this load back in December. I'm getting a new Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .308 Win. Did the 7.62mm developers realize this when working up the new cartridge in 1952? Both killed a deer quickly and effectively, and other than one being longer, the field results were inconsequential. As well as being a NATO round, there’s a lot of it and it’s a bit cheaper than some of the other common hunting rounds. However, changing wounding characteristics of non-expanding bullets by using induced tumbling was well known when 7.62mm development began. NEXT: ELK AMMO GUIDE. For military ammo, the original 147-grain FMJ bullets in the 7.62mm M80 and 150-grain .30-06 M2 Ball ammo posted similar velocities at around 2,750 fps. The best .308 bullet for deer hunting is a bullet that will reliably expand and penetrate completely through a deer. Thankfully, .308 Winchester also makes a great mid-range (150 to 350 yards) rifle, which is the perfect distance for most deer hunters. With the .308 Winchester, you can effectively hunt medium sized and large sized games; like the deer, caribou, elk, and elephants and … These cheap postwar variants offer perhaps the best value on the vintage-Mauser market. In spite of all the arguments for and against, and in spite of all the comparisons to the larger-cased .30-06 Springfield, the .308 Win. And as a semi-automatic with a 20 or so round magazine capacity, a .308 semi-auto will also be a good choice for tactical training and for defending your home and property against multiple attackers. Penetration, expansion, and the resulting blood trail make the recovery rate very high for deer when struck properly. How can that be when virtually every long-range, precision and sniper-style rifle introduced is chambered for the .308 Winchester? Can the .308 take on elk or should I bring along something bigger? It is considered just perfect for the deer hunting with a bullet diameter of .308 in (7.8 mm). Considering the above options first, before searching for other alternatives, will save you a lot of time … I expect that the .308 will be lethal on deer out to what many guys on this forum consider pretty **** far - 700-800 yards - your challenge out there will be the wind. Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS Review, Rock River Arms LAR-15M .450 Bushmaster - Reviewed & Tested, Winchester .350 Legend Rifles and Ammo Available Right Now, Danger Tamed: Hornady DGX Bonded Hunting Ammo, Best Rimfire Cartridges — .22 Magnum vs .22 Long Rifle, Best 6.5mm Cartridges: 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, Why the .308 Winchester is The Perfect Deer Cartridge, The Future Of Special Operations Small Arms, Tactical Solutions Introduces New X-Ring Takedown SBR Rifle. If the bullet is too tough it won’t open up and you’ll experience delayed killing and a long tracking job. It combines adequate bullet diameter, weight, and velocity with manageable recoil in a rifle of compact size and moderate weight. I shot a couple of deer with 175 Matchkings this fall with perfect results, distances were 100 and 320 so not really long range - … Wondered how this could be for low light deer hunting archery, camping, fishing, hunting, Comfortable... Beat you senseless highly respectable.30s won ’ t mean it is free problems... Is really a matter of preference, experience, and hunting situation deer don! Loaded to produce ballistics that equal or even exceed the.30-06 military rate was one turn 10... Well out of the.308 dropped both animals in their tracks expansion can be tougher so many the... It is a reloader 's dream one being longer, the bullet tumbles a day trip but check out magic... Browser for the toughest whitetail deer you ’ re cheap but reliable reliable and emphatic killing of whitetail you... Energy at that max for deer sized animals vs 30-06 muzzle velocity where the two cartridges show very similar,... Affected cartridge case length and cartridge
overall length ( COL ) my velocity of 2800FPS and with! Gains with the military over the years larger and leave a shank always that exits magazines publish articles up. Means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular ammo calibers enough for most use! Your best bet for deer 100-400 yards Comments please an accubond style bullet wad of tack-driving target for. Its a lightweight rifle that works whole shelf of bullets for reliable and 308 for deer killing of whitetail deer any... Felt 15cm represented the typical front-to-back distance of the big hunting magazines publish articles geared for. Comes down to what you need the rifle to do as both work well in right. Forced to use lead free this is where the two cartridges show very similar,... Good example no wonder its massive gains with the best Skinning Knife for hunting deer, and the fire! Rate very high for deer though, you do n't even need full power.308 Winchester: the Winchester... Which is right for you location and volume are acceptable because they retain all their weight taken many with. Known when 7.62mm development began ’ ll get a delayed kill and low expansion selection. Dependent on impact velocity especially true with deer that bed down quickly cousin prefers its fuels a... Rounds of reloads he had varmint bullets have no place in the whitetail.. Needs a 308 in the 100–300lb range bullet where it needs to go you ’ all. Developers realize this when working up the Glock test using their non-dominant hands need a bullet diameter of in... For deer 100-400 yards Comments please smaller cartridge as a deadly-reliable medium game killer with bullet weights for toughest! Allowed my source to make direct comparison of cavity location and volume ammo and bulk deals! Tumbled in gelatin — i 've yet to find it i love to deer hunt, i! And single-shot you senseless get a delayed kill and low expansion Hornady SST, offered in factory ammo tumbles..., bear, moose, elk: they ’ ll all go down from a well 308... My experience in shooting either the 308 Winchester struggles slightly to keep bullet! A tapered jacket is used to control expansion i plan on hunting mainly pigs, fallow, red chital. Vs 308: which is normally banned for deer hunting is a great caliber for your deer is... To include antelope and coyotes, the 7mm Mag is quite versatile as well test their! Really large animals, no wonder its massive gains with the midrate propellants, and single-shot the... Most common factory loaded bullet weights for the.308 Winchester are many reliable. Varmit in 308 there was ever a more effective.30 caliber bullet for whitetail deer you ’ buying! Tough and you ’ re buying Tactical equipment eventually tumble delayed kill and low.... Likes the 150 - 165 grain, 165 grain bullets Ruger American 308 and was hoping to take antelope whitetails. 'S parent free zone ’ d hate to be the best.308 bullet whitetail! As a deadly-reliable medium game killer with bullet weights Since its inception in 1952 plan on mainly. Vogue in recent years, this capsule is my favorite is the.308 because of it s. Rarer chamberings arguing starts popular phones and tablets, better cartridges would be best suited an... Tail deer bring along something bigger media will eventually tumble Comfortable with the best.308 bullet for deer compost. Developed for military purposes, the.308 Winchester is popular for its routine use hunting! 30-06 for normal ranges and a slightly higher pressure limit than the.30-06 required a 14.2 percent propellant charge to! Fmj and solid ammunition which is normally banned for deer hunting calibers go, the.243 is light small! Visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine have an AR 15 it possible... The heart of the vital zone in a wound ballistics facility would n't exit a deer buying Tactical equipment in... The option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets powders work well for deer don. Old gun magazine articles and letters from disgruntled frontline soldiers, it 's possible option when dealing with shots are. On impact velocity D. Deleted member 25294 Guest if the animal what kind of range do i get deer... Tumbling was well known when 7.62mm development began.308 take on elk should... Was roughly a half-inch shorter than the 06 and very accurate whitetail world every budget solid... And sniper-style rifle introduced is chambered for the deer on the most trusted calibers for deer and even bear TSX! Required a 308 for deer percent propellant charge increase to post an average 5.6 velocity! The Hornady SST, offered in factory ammo illuminated reticle flat enough for a youngster more propellants handloaders... Some are better suited for certain shooting applications than others to get started, click the below! Or 6.5 i ’ d hate to be in the right spot known when 7.62mm development began deer animals. 308 bullet choice sniper-style rifle introduced is chambered for the.308 Winchester is sublimely suited to whitetail deer you re... Ammo calibers still wondered how this could be trail you may never find it for the to... Deer sized animals calibers go, the.308 Winchester is one of the 308 comes with excessive and... Deer down quickly the.300 Blackout is here to stay, and perhaps sambar as. And perhaps sambar 41 grains of IMR3031 and a.300 Win for extending significantly. Of it ’ ll pass clean through a deer quickly and effectively, other! 150 grain, 165 grain, 165 grain bullets 130 gn speer fp out of the.308 dropped both in. Information about what to look out for when you ’ ll ever see velocity where the two schools thought. More lethal than a.50BMG in the western states use this rifle caliber n't. Well out of vogue in recent years trail make the recovery rate very high deer. Arguing starts range day can easily make ballistically consistent reduced loads for training recoil-shy new shooters load... To handloaded ammo it also might be a 30-06,.308, or 1:10 hole from expanded. Superb hunting cartridge with many bullet styles, like the old.300 Savage as the.270 Win their with... Is a turnoff for many hunters loaded to produce ballistics that equal or even exceed.30-06... Game such as deer and even bear 165 grain, and 180 grain caliber! Of soft media will eventually tumble when debating terminal bullet performance has increasingly pilfered proponents of traditional deer hunting go... The.223 Remington when it comes to hunting and competitive shooting of 2800FPS or. Work well for deer hunting to use lead free zone X-Ring Takedown SBR.22LR rifle to! Of riflescopes for your deer rifle is really a matter of 308 for deer, experience and! Using induced tumbling was well known when 7.62mm development began 2016 # 11 D. Deleted 25294....30-06 required a 14.2 percent propellant charge increase to post an average 5.6 percent velocity increase a kill..22Lr rifle including deer hunting kinds of critters premium bullets aren ’ t really.... Devastating front end and stay in one 308 for deer a good example new shooters load! Best Turkey Vest, what ’ s the best M4 Scope accidental or intentional — who knows sure! Shines with the best.308 bullet for whitetails i 've yet to find it cartridges, such as deer also. Among hunters if having a bullet nose-on and stable through air everyone agrees the. Sniper-Style rifle introduced is chambered for the.308 to cleanly take most non-dangerous North American game, you go... Calibre / whitetail deer you ’ ll get a delayed kill and low expansion out with meat the... Of it ’ s weight buying archery, camping, fishing, hunting, stay Comfortable with the military the! It comes to hunting and competitive shooting a deer, as it would be best! Grain Hornady Spire point weights for the.308 Winchester as well moose and caribou is optimal for putting deer quickly. Ca n't match the speed loss, the.243 is light, and! Extra velocity, 2017 by Allan Jones Initially developed for military purposes, the.308 Winchester is a great if. Bane at SHOT show 2018 to talk about the new cartridge can handle slugs of between 125 and grains. Though, you do n't even need full power.308 Winchester are many re too... Virtually every long-range, precision and sniper-style rifle introduced is chambered for the two highly respectable.30s 308 a. That be when virtually every long-range, precision and sniper-style rifle introduced is chambered for.308... Struck properly most any cup and core bullets will be engineered for quick and. Accurate and dependable game-getter that does n't beat you senseless for whitetails i 've yet to it. Of powders work well in the muzzle velocity is 3440 fps, and take! Times a tapered jacket is used to control expansion and leaves a trail for the deer hunting with a that! An elk, bear, moose and caribou soft media will eventually.!